Photo

RR Report Writer vs Crystal Reports vs ???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JeffB

JeffB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

We use MOM 6.0 with FoxBase db. We need to get a program to analyze the MOM customer, sales, inventory
etc. relational database. Is there some particular advantage to
getting Crystal Reports, RR Report Writer or another program? What
experience have people had with these programs and what do you recommend?

R&R Xbase Version 6.5 Single User for $250 (from the Liveware web site) is this what we should get?

If you use Access with ODBC what version of Access do you need? Does the ODBC come with Access (stupid question that shows my ignorance)?

What are the pro's and cons of Crystal Reports versus the other choices?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 dseibold

dseibold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

We use MOM 6.0 with FoxBase db. We need to get a program to analyze the MOM customer, sales, inventory
etc. relational database. Is there some particular advantage to
getting Crystal Reports, RR Report Writer or another program? What
experience have people had with these programs and what do you recommend?

R&R Xbase Version 6.5 Single User for $250 (from the Liveware web site) is this what we should get?

If you use Access with ODBC what version of Access do you need? Does the ODBC come with Access (stupid question that shows my ignorance)?

What are the pro's and cons of Crystal Reports versus the other choices?

Any help would be appreciated.

I've never used Crystal Reports so someone else will have to address that.

Report Writer is usually easy to get started with. Once you have a couple of reports designed, the rest will be much easier. If you go this route, download the reports here on the forum and learn how to make them work for you. Then try to design your own. There are limitations to what you can achieve in Report Writer but it is amazing what you can accomplish with a little bit of ingenuity.

Access is the best for versatility but is more complicated. I started with report writer and worked with it for about 6 months until I hit one of those data analysis needs that I could not obtain from Report Writer. Then I opened up access, redesigned all of my Report Writer reports in access and then with that experience under my belt, proceeded to write the one I needed. I've never looked back since I can do so much more with Access. Be Careful! Access also gives you the ability to change your data.

I would get the latest version of MS Office Professional that I can obtain. I'm working with 2003 version.
ODBC is Open DataBase Connectivity and was invented in 1992. It enables you to open almost any database and transfer data from one format to another.
When you install MS Access, you will have ODBC capabilities but you will need to download and install the latest FoxPro ODBC drivers (free). This is a fairly easy process and only takes a few minutes.
David Seibold
Wild Horses, Inc.
Operations Manager

#3 johnay

johnay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:17 AM

AFAIK, ODBC comes with Windows, but as David said you need the driver for the database format MOM uses.

MS has Express versions of its programming languages available for free download. I think they can access ODBC data sources if you have the aptitude and inclination to go that route.

#4 Gasseupheous

Gasseupheous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:47 AM

AFAIK, ODBC comes with Windows, but as David said you need the driver for the database format MOM uses.

MS has Express versions of its programming languages available for free download. I think they can access ODBC data sources if you have the aptitude and inclination to go that route.

This is my second attempt at a reply here - the first went AWOL - let's see if this one works.

I'm also new to MOM and interested in reporting too. I've been fiddling with Access over the last couple days, and have made some reasonable progress. I've had problems with the SQL though - first I can't sort by aggregated columns, and second my attempt at a Union statement failed in the 'Unioned' SQL - it reported finding a missplaced 'Order' clause because it misinterpreted the cms.order column as being a SQL clause.

It would be really helpful to get a discussion going with other MOM users who are using Access for reporting. Maybe we could share reports?

Thanks,
Ross

#5 Gasseupheous

Gasseupheous

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

Forgot to add - on the subject of ODBC drivers, I found that when I attempted to create an ODBC DSN connection to the foxpro files, when I selected the preinstalled Fox ODBC driver, windows prompted me to download the latest driver from MS.

Go to the windows control panel, find ODBC connections, add a new system DSN and when you select the FoxPro driver you may be prompted to download the latest. Lather rinse and repeat with the lates driver to create your DSN. THen, within Access, specifiy that you want an ODBC database. That will display a list of DSN's including the one you just set up - select that one and you should be good to go.

I hope this helps the original poster who's trying to connect - I can go into more detail if needed.

I also wonder if there's a better driver that I could use which would help with my SQL issues? Suggestions anyone?

#6 dseibold

dseibold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

This is my second attempt at a reply here - the first went AWOL - let's see if this one works.

I'm also new to MOM and interested in reporting too. I've been fiddling with Access over the last couple days, and have made some reasonable progress. I've had problems with the SQL though - first I can't sort by aggregated columns, and second my attempt at a Union statement failed in the 'Unioned' SQL - it reported finding a missplaced 'Order' clause because it misinterpreted the cms.order column as being a SQL clause.

It would be really helpful to get a discussion going with other MOM users who are using Access for reporting. Maybe we could share reports?

Thanks,
Ross

Sounds like a great idea... I'm not sure what your problem could be in sorting by aggregated columns... all you have to do is select your first sort column, make it a "Group By" and put it at the extreme left column of the Access query. Then do your second column... and third...etc. It's very easy. If you want to sort by a column that you want to enter criteria for, set up your "Group By" columns then repeat that column with your selected aggregate such as "Where" and enter your criteria. The data will show under "Group By" but will not show under "Where"

Can't help you with unions... never needed them. Tell me what you are trying to do and I'll see if I can help you achieve it.

Hope that helps.
David Seibold
Wild Horses, Inc.
Operations Manager

#7 Iceboxjar

Iceboxjar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

Is anyone using RR or Crystal Reports with ODBC Connections and MOM 6.0?

I ask because they don't seem to work and neither do ODBC Connections to Harveysoft or Access... Dydacomp says "not our issue" so looks like those of us who upgraded without being told these things don't work are stuck...

I believe this could be a simple configuration issue but no one seems to be able to resolve it

Any Ideas?

#8 junglejims

junglejims

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:23 AM

I am having the same problem. Always have used Crystal Reports for many different types of databases and never had a problem. But cannot connect to MOM 6.0 no matter what I try. It is really frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users