4 replies to this topic

#1 momuser1100

momuser1100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

Hi,
I am new to this group and I have been using mom since 1995 and never knew about this forum but ran across it trying to research this problem.

I am using the 5.4 version of mom with POP and have four seats. I have recently been having problems. The bottom line is that if we use mom on the computer that the database is on we have no problems. We have even moved the whole folder to another computer and the one local user on that computer works fine. But if you network in with more users after a while you will get this error:

e:\docume~1\albert~1.000\locals~1\temp\main.fxp

It may happen right away or after a while of sitting but there is no E drive or mapped E drive on the main computer or the networked in computer. I have tried alot of things and nothing seems to help. I have had to reindex and copy, zap and append to keep going but have lost data due to a corrupt file beyond recovery. We use a workgroup to network we are not on a Domain. I thought it was due to a file permission problem but I went and changed alot of things from dropping the firewall and sharing out all drives and files, etc. We are running windows 2000nt for the most part with only one XP machine and one win98 machine, I use to have the mom folder on our Server 2003 computer but have moved it off to a 2000 machine since we started having these problems.

My next bet was to move the folder to my xp machine just to see if may be the answer but haven't had time, we are catching up and taking a breather. Does anyone know what maybe the answer? Thanks....Fred

#2 ypf1258

ypf1258

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hi,
I am new to this group and I have been using mom since 1995 and never knew about this forum but ran across it trying to research this problem.

I am using the 5.4 version of mom with POP and have four seats. I have recently been having problems. The bottom line is that if we use mom on the computer that the database is on we have no problems. We have even moved the whole folder to another computer and the one local user on that computer works fine. But if you network in with more users after a while you will get this error:

e:\docume~1\albert~1.000\locals~1\temp\main.fxp

It may happen right away or after a while of sitting but there is no E drive or mapped E drive on the main computer or the networked in computer. I have tried alot of things and nothing seems to help. I have had to reindex and copy, zap and append to keep going but have lost data due to a corrupt file beyond recovery. We use a workgroup to network we are not on a Domain. I thought it was due to a file permission problem but I went and changed alot of things from dropping the firewall and sharing out all drives and files, etc. We are running windows 2000nt for the most part with only one XP machine and one win98 machine, I use to have the mom folder on our Server 2003 computer but have moved it off to a 2000 machine since we started having these problems.

My next bet was to move the folder to my xp machine just to see if may be the answer but haven't had time, we are catching up and taking a breather. Does anyone know what maybe the answer? Thanks....Fred

its definitely a networking problem or you have referenced in mom someplace the E drive anything with the ~ sym is a temps system file

#3 momuser1100

momuser1100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:33 PM

its definitely a networking problem or you have referenced in mom someplace the E drive anything with the ~ sym is a temps system file

Hi

Thanks for responding. Since I posted last I did move imom to an XP machine and had the same problems with the networked in windows pro 2000 machines. We never had this problem before with all the same equipment I do not know what changed. I did however find out that the ~ is used for temporary windows files but only when it is the first charactor of the file name. With this error it is actually short hand for a long file name stored in old MSDOS format. In other words, this was the way MSDOS programs named files when the file name was longer then the eight dot three format. Apparently, mom has old programing that is using the old file naming convention. Please read

http://ask-leo.com/w..._hard_disk.html for a history of the convention.

What the error really is saying is e:\document and settings\albert~1.000\local settings\temp\main.fxp The user is Albert which most of been one of the programers for mom since we have never had an Albert working here. The main.fxp is actually a foxpro temporary data file that it creates inorder to function.

I have not found any reference in mom about the E drive. I am thinking it may have something to do with windows 2000 updates and maybe an update screwed up the way files are done on the network or mom or something that is the only thing that changed. I will try a few things and get back to the forum. Thanks again for responding...

#4 momuser1100

momuser1100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

Hi everyone,
I spoke with someone that told me I need to update the momwin.exe file to the latest build that is from October 2008. We no longer have a service agreement with MOM. Is there someone out there that may be able to get me the latest mom 5.4 update download? So I can test the theory? Thanks......

#5 momuser1100

momuser1100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

Hi everyone,
I spoke with someone that told me I need to update the momwin.exe file to the latest build that is from October 2008. We no longer have a service agreement with MOM. Is there someone out there that may be able to get me the latest mom 5.4 update download? So I can test the theory? Thanks......

Hi everyone,

It looks like I may have found what the problem is, we have 3 network switches in our network and one of them was bad and was not working properly. We only found this out by chance because we had a wireless router setup on it and it was not allowing internet access. So we switched it to another router and determined that the network switch was not working right. It would still let us get internet for the desktops and we could transfer files etc, so it appeared to be working right but when we replaced with another one all the networking started to run smoother and when we tried MOM again it seems to be working and has been working for several hours. In the past it would only last a few minutes before bombing. I am leaving this post incase someone else ever has this error. Thanks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users