3 replies to this topic

#1 zelik

zelik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:28 AM

Hi all,
I have a large set of customers that need certain fields updated (namely, source key information etc). I can easily export from LMM into excel and manipulate the information but how to I plug it back into MOM to update the individual customers? I've tried various forms of the import option in LMM and either it doesn't update (if I select match customer name) or it creates a brand new customer entry.

Is my only option using dbuwin? I'm afraid to use it and am not sure how safe it is to go about doing it that way.

Thanks in advance,

#2 CDI Fulfillment

CDI Fulfillment

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

There are a couple of ways to do it using dbuwin. It is smart of you to be cautious of dbuwin because it is a very powerful program and you can really mess things up in MOM if used incorrectly. That being said, you don't have to be scared of it either, it is a tool, and used properly can be extremely useful. Before doing anything in dbuwin, make a backup copy of MOM, or at least the databases that you will be manipulating.

The first option is to go directly into your CUST database and make the changes to the source key from there. I believe that the field is called CL_KEY.

The other method, which I consider to be a little safer, is done by exporting the table out of dbuwin. You can then edit the file in Excel. After the edits have been made, you can zap the original dbase and import the edited data back into dbuwin.

I am going to repeat myself, for your safety and mine: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS BACK UP MOM BEFORE DOING ANY WORK IN DBUWIN. If you have a backup you can always restore. No backup = SOL.
Jay Snelgrove
Fulfillment Manager
CDI Media, Inc.

http://www.cdimedia.com

#3 zelik

zelik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

There are a couple of ways to do it using dbuwin. It is smart of you to be cautious of dbuwin because it is a very powerful program and you can really mess things up in MOM if used incorrectly. That being said, you don't have to be scared of it either, it is a tool, and used properly can be extremely useful. Before doing anything in dbuwin, make a backup copy of MOM, or at least the databases that you will be manipulating.

The first option is to go directly into your CUST database and make the changes to the source key from there. I believe that the field is called CL_KEY.

The other method, which I consider to be a little safer, is done by exporting the table out of dbuwin. You can then edit the file in Excel. After the edits have been made, you can zap the original dbase and import the edited data back into dbuwin.
I am going to repeat myself, for your safety and mine: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS BACK UP MOM BEFORE DOING ANY WORK IN DBUWIN. If you have a backup you can always restore. No backup = SOL.

Could you please explain a little more in detail how to export it to excel and reimporting it back in? That is the most logical method for us because we have to modify about 60k records and it is a LOT easier for us to do that by utilizing excel's sort features.

Thank you thank you!

#4 zelik

zelik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:01 PM

Oh yes, and backup is ALWAYS a must!

I'm think you are suggesting that I export the complete table, make the modifications necessary, wipe(zap) the existing cust.dbf into a blank table and reimport all the modified/scrubbed data from excel into it, right?

What's the best method you recommend for exporting from MOM to excel and the best method for reimporting from excel into MOM? I am assuming that if all records/structure is kept in tact the associations w/other tables won't be hurt.

Again, thank you! It's a pain to clean up a messy unkempt database, but someone has to do it. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users