• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mika

mika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

We have a problem that we run in to every Holiday Season. We would like to figure out a way to have more than one computer be able to batch order process at the same time.

Since MOM doesn't allow this, we were thinking making a "copy" of MOM and processing our smaller Dept from that copy of MOM. Has anyone ever done this?

Would running off a copy of MOM cause any problems to the real MOM - do they share any files? (We would still be Batch Order Processing the bulk of our orders in the real copy of MOM.) I know we'd have to somehow import processed invoices back into the real MOM after the Holidays.

We've got MOM 5.4 and the import/export module.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

#2 dseibold

dseibold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

Mika,
I don't think that would be a good idea. The batch processing updates several files. To do what you are describing would require double entry of your small department's transactions to keep your inventory up-to-date in the main system.

Unless.... you want to have two separate inventories... but that would still probably cause more havoc than it is worth. You might use an order number twice. You would have to find a way to import the credit card authorizations... It might be possible, but why?

I really don't understand why your batch processing is your problem. If you process all available orders, then all available orders are processed. If you ran the batch once every 10 minutes you would probably find it is more than adequate. UNLESS you are not running the entire batch process at once.
In our operation, we only have the shipper running the batch process. When they run out of work, they run it again as needed all day long. Rarely does anyone else need to use the batch process.

If I were you, I would take a long hard look at why I needed so many people running the batch process and see if there isn't another way around the problem.

David Seibold
Wild Horses
David Seibold
Wild Horses, Inc.
Operations Manager

#3 mika

mika

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

Thanks David for your reply.

I knew it wasn't such a great idea, but we do have a real problem with scheduling Batch Order Processing between two Departments here.

I think we'll just go with a better OP schedule for allowing both Departments their own processing time so that we don't have issues with inventory and importing invoices and the possibility of messing up MOM.

Best regards,
Mika

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users