3 replies to this topic

#1 PURE-DNJ

PURE-DNJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:37 AM

Hi,

I was just wondereding how people run MOM, do you have dedicated servers, or do you use a single server, we currently have windows small business server and run MOM on it, but we keep expericencing data issues, such as locked files and errors all over the place.

Any information would be useful

#2 MerchantSmurf

MerchantSmurf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:09 AM

Hello,

Are you using SBS as the client for MOM, or just the shared directory?

We use SBS 2003 strictly for the shared drive. We have very light MOM usage, and the server has software mirrored drives (no hardware raid). This definitely kills performance and would not be the way to go with heavy usage.
Our SBS is asked to do quite a lot running as a domain controller, Exchange server, Antivirus, print server, backups, etc.

Since the client computers are doing the processing, performance is determined by disk/networking speed. If you are running quite a few stations adding a dedicated RAID to the SBS box just for the MOM data might help. I would not add a dedicated server just for the shared directory.

Check your CPU/RAM and DISK (speed) usage to see if the SBS server is being overwhelmed. If not move to the networking. This is often the bottleneck. Considering adding another NIC.

Locked files are by design, and errors with MOM seem to be the norm.
We have eliminated a lot of problems just by paying more attention to what we do in mom. Such as receiving POs while orders are open, and clicking cancel immediately after opening an order or report, etc... This has often triggered an error.

Just my experiences. Hope it is of some help. :)

#3 Videoflicks2004

Videoflicks2004

GLOBAL MODERATOR

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:~ DVD ~ BLUE RAY ~ HD DVD ~ HOLOGRAPHIC DVD ~ Quantum Computing.

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:24 PM

Hi,

We run a dedicated server with a raid driver incase either drive fails. Performance is decent considering we have 11 users and many add on apps that constantly read / write into the core mom tables.

Cheers,

David
David Narciso
Ecommerce Operations Manager CVS Inc

[email protected]

mobile: 4168238175

DISCLAIMER: Always backup your MOMWIN folder before attempting to perform any updates, testing, etc. Once you blast the data away it's gone forever.
My advice is based on my 8 years of experience with MOM and Dydacomp. If you are not comfortable with data manipulation then hire someone who is.

#4 Guest_B_*

Guest_B_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:36 AM

Is your dns ok?

What speed network do you run? Mom is very heavy on bandwidth, consider a gigabit connection for your server. A gigabit connection on clients really makes it fast and seems to stop some errors.

Hi,

We run a dedicated server with a raid driver incase either drive fails.  Performance is decent  considering we have 11 users and many add on apps that constantly read / write into the core mom tables.

Cheers,

David

View Post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users