• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cataloger

cataloger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

I am currently using MOM v5.4, and wanted to share some features of Stone Edge that are making me consider switching. Perhaps others can provide feedback on my thoughts to help me make a decision. I am an honest MOM user - I have no affiliation with Stone Edge.

1. Update Product Information via Import - Stone Edge allows you to import cost and selling price information via a CSV. I find it unbelievable that this is a manual process in MOM. With over 10,000 products and multiple price increases each year, I waste a lot of time manually updating product costs. The MOM function to update selling prices is useless - because most retailers do not increase by a flat percentage.

2. Passionate User Base and Forum - Forum has a lot of information - and users seem generally happy with the product. MOM users seem to always be complaining and MOMs response on their forums is less then helpful.

3. Free Address Validation using realtime USPS information. MOM ACVM costs $1,195. I don't have this module, but as I understand it, it is not a real time link and a local database must be updated every few months via a CD that MOM sends out.

4. Import Tracking Numbers on Drop Shipped Items - MOM claims that this feature will be available in version 6.1.

5. Submit Drop-ship Orders via Text File, PDF, or Fax - Stone Edge allows you to create a text file or PDF to send to your vendors. MOM 5.4 can't even send a text based email in a format my vendors can read. Faxing in Stone Edge works with Microsoft Fax (built into XP for Free). MOM requires WinFax which $30 per user.

6. Cart Integration - Stone Edge can integrate with almost any cart. MOM integrates with SiteLink - all other carts need to use work arounds.

7. Customized Forms - Stone Edge allows you to customize packing lists, invoices, purchase orders, etc. MOM doesn't allow any customization, and only has 1 version of regular paper documents.

8. Worldship Integration - Stone Edge integrates with Worldship via ODBC. MOM uses manual flat files that need to be imported by hand multiple times per day. MOM does not import cost information, Stone Edge does. MOM does not allow for shipping label notes or for printing the PO number on the UPS label. Stone Edge allows for the integration to be customized to include this information on the label.

9. Fraud Prevention - Stone Edge allows you to create custom fraud screening criteria that can be used to flag an order and put it on hold for review. MOM cannot do anything like this.

10. External Stack Controller - Status Updates and Emails are sent from a central PC, instead of each individual one. I imagine this would help performance and troubleshooting.

If anyone can create a list like this of why MOM is better then Stone Edge, I'd love to see it.

#2 ypf1258

ypf1258

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:00 PM

I remember reading once that Stone Edge is based on MS Access

#3 cataloger

cataloger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:21 AM

I remember reading once that Stone Edge is based on MS Access

You're right, it is. I'm not technical enough to know why a FoxPro database would be an advantage over an Access one. Here is a comparison of the two database types: http://fox.wikis.com...VFPvsAccess~VFP. I've always thought that these lower level databases were basically the same from a functional stand point - and are basically irrelevant until you step up to Oracle, SQL, MySQL, etc. I'd love to learn why Fox Pro is superior in this application if anyone can share.

#4 dseibold

dseibold

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

You're right, it is. I'm not technical enough to know why a FoxPro database would be an advantage over an Access one. Here is a comparison of the two database types: http://fox.wikis.com...VFPvsAccess~VFP. I've always thought that these lower level databases were basically the same from a functional stand point - and are basically irrelevant until you step up to Oracle, SQL, MySQL, etc. I'd love to learn why Fox Pro is superior in this application if anyone can share.

Personally, I don't think anyone can prove that FoxPro is better than MS Access but then I'm an Access fan.

However, there are features that StoneEdge does not have that MOM does. We looked into it a couple years ago. Stone Edge was very helpful in analyzing our needs and their capabilities. We determined that Stone Edge has some features that were quite attractive to us but on the other hand, there were a couple of features that we couldn't live without. I was quite disappointed but we had to stay with MOM for now.

I don't remember exactly what the problem areas were but it had something to do with kits and breakouts and how they are handled differently. It would have caused too much disruption for our operation to change.
David Seibold
Wild Horses, Inc.
Operations Manager

#5 cataloger

cataloger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

I don't remember exactly what the problem areas were but it had something to do with kits and breakouts and how they are handled differently. It would have caused too much disruption for our operation to change.

Desibold,
Thanks for the input. All of our items have their own part numbers - and we group things using parent / child relationships on the cart level. I haven't really looked at these types of features (kitting, composite, breakout, etc). If this is the only advantage of MOM over Stone Edge that this forum can come up with - I'll probably be switching fairly soon.

#6 ypf1258

ypf1258

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

Desibold,
Thanks for the input. All of our items have their own part numbers - and we group things using parent / child relationships on the cart level. I haven't really looked at these types of features (kitting, composite, breakout, etc). If this is the only advantage of MOM over Stone Edge that this forum can come up with - I'll probably be switching fairly soon.

You might reconsider it once you read the shortcomings of MS access

http://www.datanetso....org/foxpro.htm

if you are a small business and consider staying small then go ahead

#7 Barney Stone

Barney Stone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

Hope nobody minds if I add my $.02 here. I just found this Forum thanks to Google Alert (a great tool for finding references to you or your company on the Web).

Yes, the Stone Edge Order Manager uses Microsoft Access, and yes, there are pluses and minuses to Access just as there are with every database system. For users with heavier data requirements or more than 10 active users, or who need greater flexibility for integrating their order data with other systems, we also offer an Enterprise Version of the Order Manager that uses Microsoft SQL Server for its data storage. The Enterprise Version still uses Access for the program, with the same open source code philosophy and customization capabilities as our other versions, so you get the best of both worlds.

If there are any other questions about the Order Manager, I will be glad to answer them here, or you can give us a call at the number below.

Barney Stone, President
Stone Edge Technologies, Inc.
www.StoneEdge.com
610-994-3699 x 111

#8 Barney Stone

Barney Stone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:17 AM

Looking for a MOM alternative? Stone Edge is holding a Main Street Merchant Bailout Sale! If you have been considering the Order Manager, you can save 20% by ordering by the end of this month. Info at http://www.stoneedge.com/bailout.htm

#9 Barney Stone

Barney Stone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:55 AM

FYI - Stone Edge is now holding weekly live demos of the Stone Edge Order Manager. If you are interested, you can sign up at:

http://www.stoneedge...hedule_demo.asp

#10 Barney Stone

Barney Stone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:50 AM

Another FYI - In the 2009 Internet Retailer Top 500, there are more Stone Edge Order Manager users (11) than MOM (6) and OrderMotion (4) combined. All of those Stone Edge users have the Enterprise Version of the Order Manager, which uses MS SQL Server for data storage. Some are shipping as many as 5,000 orders per day. You can see the full list of them at:

http://www.stoneedge.com/top500.html

#11 Barney Stone

Barney Stone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:15 AM

If you are going to the Internet Retailer Conference in Boston this week, stop by the Stone Edge Technologies booth (#424) and say "Hi!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users