Photo

LMM and mailings (non e-mail) import/reimport/hell.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zelik

zelik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:58 PM

We do about 50k mailings per drop or so and we're having a real headache with list management.

Sure, LMM lets me export everything out..........but then after I do my deduping and error corrections, how do i get that data back in? I see the "import Customer List" function but from my experience, it doesn't do a very good job at updating data...

Also, another situation we have to deal with is that we have external lists of prospects we purchase and mail to. We COULD import them all into MOM but then our database would be full of prospects that may or may not ever order from us. So what's a good way to really "manage our mailing list" ?? How do I dedupe and plug all the cleaned up info back into MOM?

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated. I'm baffled as to how to bulk clean all my customer data right now as there are many addresses that are no longer valid. I so far am manually going to each customer number in MOM and ticking "Expired". This is OK, but really, a quicker way through excel must exist! (without using dbuwin, exporting the table, zapping, reappending etc) I thought LMM was supposed to be able to handle all this?

#2 cpd

cpd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

I'm baffled as to how to bulk clean all my customer data right now as there are many addresses that are no longer valid. I so far am manually going to each customer number in MOM and ticking "Expired". This is OK, but really, a quicker way through excel must exist! (without using dbuwin, exporting the table, zapping, reappending etc) I thought LMM was supposed to be able to handle all this?
[/quote]

Wouldn't we all like to know!!! 3 years later and this issue has not been fixed? And what's even worse... now we are unable to export, correct, and then re-upload back with MOM 7. Boo.

#3 Jake

Jake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:38 AM

Agree LMM isn't fit for purpose.

I did find the following which works but is very cumbersome for updating customer records that you have had cleaned.
You need to do one field at a time !!

1- Backup everything, esp the cust file
2- Open DBUWIN
3- Open the cust file
4- Select Table/Copy To … from the menu
5- Set the File Type to Database and click the Scope button
6- Select Next, leave the textbox at 1 and click Ok
7- Click Ok again
8- Enter a file name for the new file (custnew.dbf in this example) and click Ok
9- Open custnew in a different work area than cust (you need them both open)

10- Select Table/Zap from the menu and click Yes to the question Really Zap file
10.1 - Select Table/Append From ... from the menu
10.2 - Click the Excel Worksheet option
10.3 - Click the Select Filename button and choose your Excel file
10.4 - Click Process. If the file looks okay, select Yes to append the data

11- Select Table/Create Index from the menu
12- Enter custnum in the Index on box and click Ok
13- Enter “custnum” in the Index Name box and click Ok (you need the quotes around the name on this one)
14- Set the index order to custnum from the Index Order dropdown at the top of the screen
15- Select the cust file
16- Click the Relations button and double click the custnew file
17- Enter custnum in the Set Relation box and click Ok – you should see the relation in the left hand list box now
18- Select the cust file again
19- Select Record/Replace … from the menu
20- Select the field you want to replace from the dropdown (lastname in this example)
21- Click the button labeled “…” to the right of the “With “ label
22- Enter custnew.lastname in the Replace With box and click Ok
23- Click the For button in the criteria section
24- Enter cust.custnum=custnew.custnum in the Expression box and click Ok
25- Click Replace to actually do the replace
26- Repeat steps 18 – 25 for any additional fields you need to update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users