re-index files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Harry_*

Guest_Harry_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:21 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know how MOM determines what records are "corrupt" when you run the re-index utility? It states that these records have been deleted and I would just like to know what records and why.

Thanks,
Harry

#2 WHI

WHI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 02:11 PM

We use this funtion all the time and do not really know what is being deleted. We do know that using the re-index seems to unclog MOM. It just works better if you re-index from time to time. I re-index at least once a week.

#3 malaize

malaize

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Computers, weight lifting, excercise, sports, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, toys, video games, eating

Posted 03 December 2004 - 10:08 AM

You guys probably already know this but here goes.

In regards to databases when something is deleted (like an item from inventory) that item is not truly gone until you Reindex (pack) the files. That record is just marked for deletion. So if you have a lot of orders and products you will probably be editing things all the time. Reindexing helps get rid of the files that are a waste for MOM to search through when trying to accomplish a task.

Not sure if that is exactly right, but that is the general idea of keeping a database running smoothly.

The 3 ecommerce websites that I run for our company use the Miva Merchant shopping cart. It is neccessary to "Pack" the databases quite often to keep certain databases from swelling and possibly slowing the stores down.

malaize

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:08 AM

corrupt records could be records flagged for deletion, or records with "funny" characters, or blank records. Reindexing flags and deletes these records.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users